01 Oct Top tips for stretching
These top tips for stretching are the perfect way to begin your day or prepare for exercise. Here at Complete Healthcare Sunbury, we believe the importance of stretching is very underrated. Stretching can improve our flexibility, limit injuries and improve our focus, amongst many other things. Stretching helps all our muscles, bones and joints function at their optimal level and can help us move better and freer. Stretching can also improve sleep and mental clarity.
Our top tips for stretching
- Take 10 minutes out of your day to stretch daily- although it may not seem like many just 10 minutes can improve the quality of your muscles.
- Remember to breathe- breathing whilst stretching is so important. Breathing into the stretch slowly and lengthening with every breath.
- Don’t stretch if you feel pain- Static stretching, in which you stretch through a muscle’s full range of movement until you feel resistance but not pain, is probably the safest type. Stretch to the point of mild discomfort, at most, and then ease up. If you feel any pain, stop.
- Make it part of your daily routine- stretching regularly can improve blood flow to your muscles and joints, as well as clear our minds mentally.
- Stretch opposing muscles- Work opposing muscle groups each time you stretch. If you start by stretching the muscles in the back of your thigh (hamstring), then follow by stretching the muscles at the front (quad).
- Hold a sustained stretch for 10 to 30 seconds- try not to overstretch as it may cause small muscle tears, and remember not to bounce whilst stretching.
- Warm-up your muscles before stretching. Try 10 minutes of gentle exercise like walking. Stretching cold muscles may result in injury.
- Make stretching part of your other warm-up and cool-down activities- this will loosen you up before your workout and also help loosen tight muscles at the end of a workout.
Such a simple exercise can lead to many benefits for the body, decreasing our risk of injury, and overall flexibility to name just a few. If you have any questions please call us at Complete Health Care Sunbury.