13 Jan Ways to Improve Your Digestion
Feeling a little sluggish after the festive period? Is it time to reboot your system? Poor digestion can cause havoc on our bodies and make us feel sluggish, fatigued, bloated and in turn, can lead to weight gain and the inability to lose weight. We’ve put together some tips on ways to improve your digestion after the indulgent Christmas period that will have you feeling better and back to your old self in no time!
Practical Ways to Improve Your Digestion
- Start your morning with a glass of warm water and fresh lemon- after sleeping this is the perfect way to get your digestion system firing before you start your day.
- Apple cider vinegar- upon rising you can add this with your warm water and lemon to get your digestive system moving. Or else add it to salad dressings or in a bottle to sip throughout the day
- Green juices- the benefits of green juices and smoothies are endless, they’re the perfect way to detoxify your body
- Avoid acidic foods like alcohol, caffeine, sugar, salt and wheat. Stay away from the processed and packaged! Sugar feeds the bad bacteria!
- Increase your water intake- aim for up to 3litres of water a day, which will help flush out all those unwanted toxins that may have built up
- Probiotics –take these daily, as they repair the gut with good bacteria
- Increase your intake of vegetables- vegetables are high in fibre and will help move things along if they’re a little sluggish. Make green leafy vegetables the main element in lunches and dinners and notice the difference in how you feel
- Cut back on gluten- if you’ve been indulging a little too much over the holiday period cutting back on gluten-rich foods can help get things moving a little better. Once you’re starting to feel better introduce it slowly back into your daily diet
- Drink tea- instead of that after-dinner dessert enjoy a cup of peppermint, camomile or liquorice tea. This will help with further digestion and won’t have you feeling sluggish before bedtime
- Move daily- this is so important. Sweating out all the toxins that have built up in our bodies over the Christmas period. Whether it is a yoga class, going for a job or an intense weight session. Get moving!!
- Lastly- Sleep, and lots of it! This helps our bodies heal and repair. So ensure you’re getting up to 8 hours plus every night.
Don’t waste any more time, start incorporating these tips into your daily life now and start 2015 on a positive note!