14 Nov World Diabetes Day
Today is World Diabetes Day. Approximately 3.61 million Australians have diabetes or pre-diabetes, and 366 million people have diabetes worldwide. This is a staggering statistic that is increasing yearly. Australian diets are now full of foods high in sugar, carbohydrates and saturated fats. The average individual’s breakfast isn’t what it used to be. Now a days breakfast involve’s cereals high in sugar and processed crap. Not a nutritious way to start the day. We’ve put together a delicious breakfast smoothie that you can make either the night before, or quickly in the morning if you’re on the go to keep you going through the morning.
You will need
– 1 banana/ Frozen or Fresh
– 1 big handful of spinach
– 2 handfuls of frozen berries (these keep it cool and are much cheaper than fresh berries, but fresh berries and a little ice work perfectly instead)
– 1/2 a cup of almond milk/ water or coconut water
– 1 medjool date
– 2 tablespoons of oats
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
– Optional scoop of protein powder
Blend all the ingredients together, and enjoy! This smoothie has a healthy mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates that will keep you satisfied throughout the morning.